What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a chronic inflammatory condition which can have a real impact on daily life and cause a great deal of discomfort. It is characterized by redness in the centre of the face, small pimples and flushing. It commonly occurs in people aged 30-60 particularly women.
What causes Rosacea?
There is no specific known cause, but multiple factors are implicated in developing rosacea
1) Fair skin and a genetic predisposition to the condition.
2) Sun and UV radiation exposure.
3) Facial blood vessels that are overactive leading to redness and inflammation.
4) Impaired skin barrier due to pre-existing conditions, medications or use of certain cosmetic products.
Signs and Symptoms
1) Facial redness, blushing and flushing.
2) Prominent and visible facial vessels (telangiectasia)
3) Uncomfortable, stinging, or sensitive skin.
4) Dry flaky skin
5) Acne like pimples, with breakout and pustules
6) Swelling and enlargement of the nose
7) In some cases, rosacea can presents as a sensation of burning or grittiness in the eye involvement
Rosacea treatment is a multipronged approach
1) Lifestyle measures to avoid triggers
2) Sun protection and limiting UV exposure
3) Appropriate skin care, with the aim to improve skin barrier function and reduce inflammation.
4) Non-prescription and prescription medication
5) Lasers and energy-based devices